[time-nuts] Small NTP appliance

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Nov 6 13:32:37 UTC 2020

Hi

If this is a scratch build without using the typical software, pretty much anything
could be done. As noted earlier, the “normal” way to do this is to go to something
that will run some flavor of Linux.

On a practical basis, you *could* have a good antenna location for your GPS.
That would mean you alway have a pps. That pps should be good to < 50 ns.

You probably can “guess” the crystal frequency to 0.1 ~ 0.01 ppm on a second
to second basis ( like by an average over the last 100 seconds). If so, that
puts your“ clock error” into the 10 to 100 ns region.

Net result would be a device that can indeed hang in below 1 us as it does
it’s thing.

Bob