[time-nuts] WWVB teensy BPSK early experiments

John C. Westmoreland, P.E. john at westmorelandengineering.com
Fri Nov 13 12:44:00 UTC 2020

Hello Time Nuts,

Paul, the wiring harness I made is longer than 6" - not by much - but I'll
shorten those and see if it clears it up.
I thought the same thing - maybe the display could be flaky - or maybe
strange things can happen too if in
the software the touch screen part is enabled but the wiring isn't there -
not sure.  But, can't rule that out right
now - will double check to see if in the code the touchscreen part is
running or not.

I'm also checking the CHIP_MIC_CTRL register in my code - I wanted to see
if disabling the micbias block could work -
the register can be written/changed - in the control_sgtl5000.cpp file - in
the micGain() function -
change:

return write(CHIP_MIC_CTRL, 0x0170 | preamp_gain)
// return write(CHIP_MIC_CTRL, 0x0070 | preamp_gain)
   // attempt to disable mic bias block --- aj6bc/jcw
or
return write(CHIP_MIC_CTRL, 0x0000 | preamp_gain)

If you want to read that back - then:
in control_sgtl5000.h - move:
 unsigned int read(unsigned int reg); // removed from protected:

from protected to public:

and in your code you can call something like:
// check value of mic control register:
  mic_ctl_regval = sgtl5000_1.read(CHIP_MIC_CTRL);
  Serial.printf("\r\nMic Control Register (ADDR 0x002A) = 0x%x \r\n",
mic_ctl_regval);

you may need to:
#define CHIP_MIC_CTRL      0x002A // microphone gain & internal microphone
bias
at the top of your file.

I'm still not sure if that's OK to do - I think the chip is looking for a
feedback on that possibly and it doesn't really buy you much.
I'm still testing all of that now - maybe just being able to read that
register back is worth something.

I received the antenna from Stormwise and am using in an inductive coupling
mode with the Teensy set up - and I got the first
successful decode using the code from Chris Howard - so good job there
Chris.  Gotta admit it's pretty cool watching the inductive
coupling effect work.

It's apparent I still have some noise - I haven't done a lot yet for
shielding anything, so I obviously need to do that - good news
obviously is finally seeing some good decodes coming in.

Of course, this is in the quiet wee-hours but WWVB is pretty strong at this
time at my QTH.

I'll work on ways to reduce noise next.

73's,
John