[time-nuts] DMTD and data display

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 21:44:17 UTC 2020

Hello Time-Nuts,

I have made significant progress on a DMTD instrument, and hope to be
making measurements relatively soon.  However, I have a question on
getting the correct results.

I have a box with DUT(5MHz), OFFSET (4.999990 MHz), and REF (5MHz)
inputs, with DUT and REF outputs that will feed my 5370B TIC.  My
understanding is that I gain an increase in resolution of 5x10E6 Hz/10
Hz = 5x10E5.  My question is how do I make this display correctly in
TimeLab (or Stable32)?

When I use just the 5370B and plot the noise floor (feeding a delayed
version of the A input into the B input) I get a nice straight line
with -1 slope starting at 1.15x10E-10 at 1sec and going down.With the
DMTD connected does this mean that I just put in a scale factor of
5x10E5 in TimeLab (and also change the sample time to 0.1Hz)?

Or, is there a better way to set things up?  Any insight appreciated.

Regards,
Skip Withrow