[time-nuts] HP5065a cfield issue

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 23:57:56 UTC 2020

Hello to the group.
Was time for the quarterly Cesium and RB checks in an effort to support our
local power company.
I discovered that there is an issue with the HP5065a Rubidium reference.

The frequency has slowed and the cfield pot can not make up for the jump.
Normally a few small tick marks are ever needed. I used 3 large marks and
ran out of pot. Its at 9.9. Was at 6.14. The frequency does increate with
the cfield adjustment. I am assuming perhaps something has happened in the
cfield regulator.
At least the front panel meter is indicating the +20V supply is normal.
But my question is this. The schematic indicate very little current travels
through the cfield coil. Guessing far less than 3 ma. by adding up
resistors. What I do not know yet is what is the resistance of the cfield
coil? I may find that I simply have dirty contacts on the A15 regulator
card.
Its possible there are other things wrong but all front panel meter
readings look the same as they have been for years.

Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
Paul
WB8TSL