[time-nuts] Spectracom 8161 "Standard Frequency Receiver - Oscillator" for WWVB (and question...)

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 01:33:41 UTC 2020

Bill
Thats exactly why they showed up. Though I still tend to see silly prices.
Heck serious humor you still see the GOES satellite Truetime DC468s for
sale again at silly costs and thats been dead since 2001 or so. (Unless you
have a GOES simulator)

So you are right GPSDOs have taken their place pretty much. At least for a
low cost investment we time-nuts get a very nice reference that's just
there.
But there are ways to make those old units work. Its a bit complicated and
requires diving in pretty deeply. Some methods are simpler than others and
if your closer they will work. I am in New England so its a lot tougher.
WWVB can deliver a good signal. But GPSDOs have made me a bit lazy.
Guess what I am listening to right now? The KD2BD wwvb costas loop
receiver. There you go.
Old habits die hard.
Enjoy.
Paul WB8TSL