[time-nuts] Spectracom 8161 "Standard Frequency Receiver - Oscillator" for WWVB (and question...)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Mon Oct 5 10:59:03 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 2020-10-05 11:20, Hal Murray wrote:
>>  On a WWVB setup you get 10’s of us ( yes microseconds) of movement at
>> sunrise and sunset. You get as much as 10us between day and night.
> Somehow, I was thinking that WWVB was ground wave and wouldn't be effected by
> changes in the height of the ionosphere.  Am I totally out of it, or is 10s of
> uSec just a lot better than the day/night shift you get with WWV?

You will for sure see a mix of ground wave and ionspheric reflection,
and those will vector sum. Depending on your distance your milage may
vary. The same is seen at 77,5 kHz (DCF77) and 100 kHz (LORAN-C). The
solar flare effect documented in the 8161 manual is for sure an
ionspheric reflection effect.

Cheers,
Magnus