[time-nuts] Aging 5065A ?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 6 21:52:09 UTC 2020

Hi

Replacing the synthesizer with something more modern is certainly possible. I have
a project (slowly moving along) to do just that. There is nothing crazy on the logic board,
it could easily be replaced with something more modern for not a lot of money.

The phase detector / photo amp / modulator chain is a bit more problematic. My guess is that
a replacement of both the photo amp (preamp) and the phase detector at the same time
would make sense. Both are “audio” circuits. There is nothing in them that makes them
totally nutty to replace.

The physics package *is* the long term question. When the lamps die, I doubt we can find
( or fab) replacements. If the temperature controller fails in a fashion that the entire “tube”
turns into a chunk of charcoal, that would be a long tough fixer upper.

Fun !!!

Bob