[time-nuts] Aging 5065A ?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 7 14:36:49 UTC 2020

Hi

With the advent of cheap PCB houses that also do cheap assembly, the ability to cobble
up this or that has moved from the “nutty” into the “pretty easy” category. Indeed with very
specific parts (integrator cap, fancy op-amp) you might have to hand solder one or two
leaded parts on the board.

On the integrator, with modern op-amps, there are a lot of parts to pick between. A lot
of the stuff that was in the original board went away when HP did the later version of the
integrator. Since that board seems to work just fine, I’d stick pretty close to that design.
One *might* allow for some larger value integrator caps.

I don’t know of many people using the 100 KHz, 1 MHz, or 1 pps outputs from the 5065.
Those empty board locations provide a *lot* of room for expansion projects. There’s also
the battery charger board and the space for the batteries. To me the clock and clock driver
“stuff” is in that same category. it’s a big empty chassis. Not a lot of need to cram extra boards
in by double stacking ….

Yes, each of us gets to do this their way. I’m sure there are several people raising their
hands in exception to at least one item in the paragraph above. I’d still bet at least a
half a bottle of beer that something above 80% of the “running in my basement”  5065’s
line up pretty well with what’s in that paragraph.

====

If you are going to do compensation on the device, you need to feed that comp in
somewhere. Variable C field is one way, but it has it’s issues. A high resolution
synth would be another way. In addition to working out the control approach, you probably
will want some sort of MCU to filter the data. I’d suggest that one of the “abandoned”
board locations is a reasonable place to put all this “stuff”.

So, lots of variables, lots of routes from A to B.

Bob