[time-nuts] Is there a good web page introducing ADEV?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Oct 7 15:43:58 UTC 2020

On 9/30/2020 12:47 PM, Magnus Danielson wrote:

> This is all true, except for the last part, since you really need to
> consider the duo of Jim Barnes and David Allan. If you look at the early
> work, their work and contribution overlap. Some of the important math
> was actually discovered by Jim Barnes. They had to work hard to figure
> out a way to overcome the lack of a meaningful mean value, and they did
> that by reducing the mean to a minimum, over 2 frequency values and then
> average over that.

Wow, I never realized that.  My bad.  It does possibly explain the
fact that Dave never used the term "Allan variance" but rather
always called it the "two-sample variance."  Although I suspect
that he would have done that anyway even if he were the undisputed
inventor of ADEV.  He also used "sigma sub-y of (2,tau)" rather
than the usual "sigma sub-y of tau" nomenclature.

Rick N6RK