[time-nuts] Experiment in lowering the TAPR TICC noise floor

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Oct 7 20:25:40 UTC 2020

Hi Attila --

Just a couple of corrections -- the "coarse clock" in the TICC runs at
10 kHz (100 us), not 1 kHz, and therefore the TDC never sees a
measurement interval longer than 100 us, not 1 ms.

More importantly, the chart in Figure 17 of the datasheet is for
operation in "Mode 1" of the TDC, which is recommended for time
intervals of 500 nanoseconds or less.  But the TICC uses "Mode 2" which
doesn't have that limitation, and Figure 17 doesn't apply.

It would be possible to lower the noise slightly by using a 16 MHz clock
rather than 10 MHz (but if you look at Figure 15, the improvement
wouldn't be very great).  That would require reprogramming the PIC
divider chip, and may some Arduino code changes as well.  (I *think* the
clock speed is set as a constant in the code that could be changed at
compile time, but I never tested to see if that would work without
breaking anything.)

John
----