[time-nuts] Experiment in lowering the TAPR TICC noise floor

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Oct 7 21:49:47 UTC 2020

Matthias,

Thanks for posting the raw data. You mention that both channels get the
same signal and so you expect a sqrt(2) improvement in noise
measurement. But consider...

1) sqrt(2) is only valid if both channels are equal to begin with. Plot
the ADEV of chA and chB and you'll see this isn't quite the case. It's
close, but not the same, so your improvement will not be a full sqrt(2).
It could board layout or the TDC7200 itself. When looking at picoseconds
one should not expect two counters or different channels of the same
counter to necessarily have identical noise. Next time plot both
channels (plus the combination), not just one channel plus the combination.

2) sqrt(2) is only valid if you ignore DUT and REF noise. What DUT did
you use for chA and chB, and what REF did you use for the 10 MHz? Your
ADEV plot is the combination of DUT *and* REF *and* TICC/chA *and*
TICC/chB so even if there's a sqrt(2) improvement in chA+chB it won't
appear as large as sqrt(2) if your DUT or REF has its own contributing
noise at e-10 or e-11 levels.

It seems to me your test would be valid, and you would in fact see
sqrt(2) in the ADEV plot, if your DUT and REF were both stable to low
e-12 levels and if the TICC's chA and chB h/w both had equal noise.

/tvb