[time-nuts] Assistance needed to understand some V_OCXO stability concepts.

Joe & Gisela Noci jgnoci at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 08:54:24 UTC 2020

Hi to all,
Still persevering with my GPSDO - this stuff is very addictive...
I may be able to have a loan Rubidium reference for a few weeks which will
assist me with comparative measurements - I hope!

In the meantime, the effects of ambient temp changes are very evident in
the change of oven control voltage, and therefore the EFC voltage as well -
Exactly what the effect is on frequency remains to be seen once I have the
above reference.
However, I would in any case like to try improve on this situation. The OCXO
( HP_00105-6013) is covered in a 25mm thick polystyrene 'box' inside the
enclosure of the entire unit. The unit external shell is 2mm aluminium, and
so does radiate internal heat, etc.
I would like to try a sort of external oven arrangement -  remove the OCXO
from the system unit enclosure, and fit it into a dedicated enclosure that
forms
 a hopefully better temp shield around the OCXO, and make this housing
internally temp controlled.
The temp control would not have to be very accurate, maybe a few (2?)
degrees C, all in an effort to improve on the ambient temp effects I am
seeing.
 My lab ambient changes from 15 degC to 26degC over a winter 25hour period
typically, and does reach 28degC in summer..

Has anyone reading this had any experience in designing something like
this? It is not so simple as there not a great temp differential to play
with.
I guess the second 'oven' would need not only a heating capability, but
cooling as well - to try stabilize at maybe 30 degC internally?

I have dug in the archives, and a lot of googling took place, but this sort
of info is scarce!

An annotated screen shot shows the daily temp variation effects on the oven
control voltage, and on the DAC control voltage.
Scale is in 10's of seconds horizontally. Oven volts are actually the volts
across the control transistor of the HP oven , so high volts = less heating
DAC volts are in millivolts
 The rising trend in oven volts ( reduced heating) over the 48something
hour period shows the gentle increase in daily ambient temps as we are
warming up here.
The DAC control voltage is synced to the oven control voltage - as the oven
voltage increases so does the DAC voltage.  I have not implemented a means
of actually measuring the oven temp, but that may be needed - to be sure
that the temp is in fact being controlled properly - as I have no idea of
the actual temp change for that oven voltage change. I also hope that there
are no supply power return path issues -
 that the DAC voltage is perhaps affected by the change in oven current and
so the system tries to compensate...

Also, a disturbing trend in the DAC voltage - the voltage is going more
negative all the time, even though the oven volts are in a positive trend -
   ie, the oven is 'cooling' more with increasing ambient, which should
make the DAC volts trend increase at the same time, but it is trending more
negative - I wonder if this is not an issue of crystal aging...

The attached screenshot is around 48 hours long, but a 2 week long capture
at 10second rate has the DAC voltage decreasing from 5250mV to the present
4900mV
Need to measure oven temp!

MANY things to dig into!

Regards