[time-nuts] SMPS or conventional?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Oct 19 15:38:23 UTC 2020

Hi

What will the output of the box be used for? If low phase noise is an objective,
then one needs to be pretty careful about power supply noise. If low phase noise
is not a “need” in this case, then (good) switchers can be used for everything.

What’s a “good” switcher? You want one that is reliable ( = does not catch fire
on a regular basis). You also want to get the noise down into the 10 mv p-p range.
That generally means filtering the output a bit. Past that the usual requirements
of line / load regulation and efficiency come into play.

Bob