[time-nuts] SMPS or conventional?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Oct 20 15:14:11 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Oct 20, 2020, at 10:45 AM, Luiz Alberto Saba <las at intercat.com.br> wrote:
>
> Hi Bob
>
> In a previous tread, someone said that cooling PRS-10 will only make the unit consume more energy, since it has to maintain the lamp hot.
> Is this wrong?

You need to read the entire thread. Cooling a Telecom Rb to a reasonable temperature
*is* a good idea. The parts that are not attached to the oven assembly live *much* longer
at a lower temperature. Most of these small Rb’s die when this or that weird part on this or
that board dies. Caps are usually the first to go, but they can be tracked down and replaced.

If it’s a solid state part with no known replacement source …. the unit is dead. Also complicating
the repair process is the total lack of any alignment / setup information on these Rb’s. If
the part you replace requires realignment ….. you are flying blind.

Bob