[time-nuts] SMPS or conventional?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Oct 21 13:25:34 UTC 2020

 > Planning to build my "reference box" with a rubidium & a gpsdo.

I went through this power supply decision making process with my first
OCXO and Rb standards. In the end my conclusions are "if you can't
measure it then don't worry about it". You can see how that leads to a
side hobby of noise measurement!

There are any number of subtle decisions with operating a precision
standard at home. This creates widely varying conditions from one
person's shack to another person's lab. So for me a universal rule is
difficult. In addition often the better the standard the more it is
designed to attenuate external effects like variations in temperature,
wander in supply voltage, or noise on any of the inputs.

I used to use high quality linear power supplies only. Now I usually use
switchers. Part of it is that switching technology has progressed well
over the decades. Part of it is that I can now make incredibly precise
measurements and if the power supply gives me any PN spurs or any ADEV
effects, I avoid it. Surprisingly some of the cleanest power supplies
I've used are $15 switcher desktop or wall wart types. So that's what I
often use now. If you have a DMM or 'scope or SA put it to use on the
power supply itself or on the frequency standard output and see what you
can find.

The other lesson I learned is to keep batteries and AC power supplies
out of the box if possible. Use the box to hold the OCXO / Rb: for
mechanical stability, for protection, for RF shielding, and for passive
thermal management. Give it DC, and make the decision on where to get
that DC independent of the box you're making. This also makes it much
easier to implement clean or redundant power to the box. My worst
experiences are battery chargers inside the box itself. That's too
chemical, erratic, and noisy an operation to be in close proximity of a
precision standard. Plus it's a maintenance hassle every few years when
you have to replace the battery. I also avoid fans if I can. YMMV. These
are just some of the things I've run into.

/tvb