[time-nuts] SMPS or conventional?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Oct 22 12:36:59 UTC 2020

Hi

The magnetic field sensitivity is dependent on a lot of things.
Strangely enough, the higher the C field, the more sensitive
the physics package is ( yes, that’s weird …). All Rb’s incorporate
shielding to reduce the external field impact. Since the shielding
is rarely perfect, there are asymmetries in the response.

All that turns this into a “field from here at level X” matters on this
Rb and not on that one sort of thing.

=======

The “easy” way to get a feel for what’s what is to rotate the device
in the horizontal plane. The earth’s mag field (unless you are close
to the magnetic poles) will change in a predictable manner. If you see
a measurable frequency change … you have an answer.

The more complicated approach uses Helmholtz coils. It’s more complicated
mainly because they take time to fab …..

Both approaches are only approximate unless you go a bit crazy on
a bunch of minor details.

Bob