[time-nuts] Frequency Counter Choice

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 22 16:52:09 UTC 2020

On 10/22/20 8:29 AM, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> 3) Instead of replacing the front panel readout, instead do all your
> comms over SCPI, to the point where you have created a virtual
> instrument, not unlike some of the logic analyzer or 'scope PC apps.
> This solution would be very welcome by lots time-nuts. It means we could
> fully operate our 53131/53132 counters with the VFD disabled. The
> downsize is that it requires a GPIB (Prologix) adapter.
>
> /tvb

While I love my Prologix adapters, I wonder if one could implement the
protocol using GPIO pins on something like a Beagleboard or Arduino clone?

(yes, as a product, with the right connector and line driver/receivers,
etc. - it would cost the same as a Prologix... but as a hack...)

After all GPIB is a very old standard, and was developed back in the day
of 1 MHz logic. I think you could do the handshaking in software - punch
the bits one by one, assert DAV, etc.
Listener reads bits one by one, then asserts the ACK or NAK

(Aieee.. Wikipedia says it was supported by the Commodore PET... there's
a challenge for you)