[time-nuts] Mentorship needed in learning about Allan Deviation and variation.

Joe & Gisela Noci jgnoci at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 06:19:52 UTC 2020

Bob and Tom,
Thanks again for your time on this.  I understand a lot better, and have
just one issue I would like to 'harp' on a little, if you would allow..
In the simplistic example of a freq counter measuring its own reference, It
it easy to grasp and understand the incestous nature of the measurement.

I am having difficulty extending that concept to what I have though.  For
the purpose of understanding this concept, lets ignore jitter, and all
other 2nd order effects for now.

  My OCXO is phase locked to a GPS 1PPS . The same GPS 1PPS is 'locked' to
a very accurate , very stable  (Cesium?) reference within the SAT
constellation.
I would say that if I use the GPS 1PPS ( which is the same as the Cesium
reference, in my example..) as my reference, then when I measure the phase
delta between the OCXO and that 1PPS
I am in fact measuring the phase delta between the OXCO and the accurate
Cesium reference.
I realise I am in fact measuring how well the OCXO is phase locked to the
Reference ( 1PPS , derived from the Cesium reference..) , but that should
still show what the frequency and phase offset is
between the OCXO and the Reference.
I am having difficulty seeing that this is in fact not independent - the
underlying raw reference for the measurement is the Cesium reference and I
can't get better than that.
Substituting a separate, equally good Cesium reference from which I derive
a 1PPS, is surely no different?

To simplify my confusion, I have attached a PDF block diagram - this shows
a 'perfect' 10MHz reference oscillator - perfect in accuracy, drift, phase
errors, etc - just perfect.
It is the reference for a PLL with the OCXO being controlled. The perfect
osc is divided down to present a 1PPS to the TIC. The OCXO is divided down
to present a 1MHz signal to the TIC.
The resultant phase delta is logged and used to plot Adev - basically what
I described above, but a perfect Osc instead of the GPS.
This surely is comparing the OCXO phase to the perfect osc phase,
regardless of what is controlling or steering the OCXO?

Tom, I am not sure what you mean by -

*The Trimble Thunderbolt (aka TBolt) GPSDO has this
disable-discipliningfeature. Note it's not "holdover"; that's something
else entirely.  *

I assume 'holdover' to be when the OCXO EFC voltage is just held fixed?
If so, I do not understand how disciplining can be disabled without the EFC
voltage just being held to a fixed value?
Can you explain the difference between 'disciplining-disabled' and
'holdover' please?

Chaps, thank you for indulging me on this - the basic concepts are the
formative grounding for beginning to understand this subject even a little
and I appreciate your assistance
and guidance in this!
Regards
Joe