[time-nuts] Mentorship needed in learning about Allan Deviation and variation.

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 28 00:24:51 UTC 2020

On 10/27/20 11:00 AM, Alberto di Bene wrote:
> On 2020-10-27 17:38, Andy Talbot wrote:
>> They use Allen variance, TDEV and MTIE plots.
>
> Is "Allen variance" just the British way of spelling "Allan variance",
> or are they two different things ?
>
> 73  Alberto  I2PHD

It's David Allan's name, and references to Allen variance are just
misspellings (or bad spell check.. I've also seen alien variance :)).

There's also some playing fast and loose with variance vs deviation.
Most of the time, what people are plotting is deviation, which is the
square root of variance.  And hopefully labeled as such.