[time-nuts] power supply for Z3801

Oz-in-DFW lists at ozindfw.net
Thu Oct 29 14:12:16 UTC 2020

On 10/28/2020 5:32 PM, jimlux wrote:
> The 48-ish volt power supply for my Z3801 gave up the ghost..
>
> What's the latest in off-the-shelf power supplies (external is fine,
> uncased is fine)?
>
> There were plenty of suggestions on the list a few years back, and I
> can pick one of those up, but hey, someone else might have walked this
> path before more recently.
>
> Or, should I go get 4 12V sealed lead acid, 4 12V wallwart trickle
> chargers and make a 48 Volt supply? (I can't imagine it would be
> cheaper than some Meanwell PS)

I dis(re)member how much current you need, but recycling (surplus) is
probably a good option as well:

https://www.mpja.com/48-Volt-Power-Supply/products/544/

https://www.allelectronics.com/category/480150/power-supplies/48-volts-dc-power-supplies/1.html

https://www.bgmicro.com/1B1403.aspx

and a host of others. A decent range of cost and reliability options.
Derating  and cooling are the real reliability enhancers in decently
designed supplies.

And, this was designed for a telecom application, so it's /probably
/rated for 36-72 VDC. This is the normal specd range for 48 V nominal.
I'd still use a 48 V supply, but would be too concerned about regulation.

Oz (in DFW)