[time-nuts] "When you google word ..."

The Fiber Guru fiber.guru at fiber.guru
Fri Oct 30 02:32:30 UTC 2020

I actually had the privilege of hearing David Allan present his theories in the yearly NIST conference in Boulder.  Interesting fellow.

One thing that was pretty cool is that NIST developed a fountain clock that is so accurate it is influenced by altitude.  They had to raise the clock once to install a new floor beneath and when they raised the clock it impacted the frequency.  Originally discouraged by this it suddenly occurred to someone that they had developed an extremely accurate way to measure height!  Now they just have to miniaturize it and make it affordable (of course this is the bane of laboratory experiments).

I was once Dir of R&D at a fortune 50 electronics firm and love hanging out in labs like NIST.

db