[time-nuts] HP 5345A Noise Floor

Giorgio Barinetti giorgio at barinetti.it
Fri Oct 30 17:14:13 UTC 2020

Hi Bob,

The current setup is:

Counter locked ( 10 mhz in ) to the Cesium.

Same 10 mhz signal from the Cesium feeds both the inputs and counter is running in “phase difference” so time A-B.

That means the resolution will be hiher, I guess, since the counter is counting the “difference” between the two

Signals, not the whole 10 mhz.

I’m a complete dumdum in maths but I’m sure that somebody here can explain in a simple way.

Regards,

Giorgio.

Hi

According to page 1-3 in https://bama.edebris.com/download/hp/5345a/5345a_6.pdf <https://bama.edebris.com/download/hp/5345a/5345a_6.pdf>

The 5345 is a 2 ns counter. Roughly speaking, that normally gets you around  2x10^-9

at 1 second.

That would suggest there is something a bit off in your setup.