[time-nuts] OCXO housings - Why copper and not iron/steel?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Oct 30 23:49:04 UTC 2020

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 22:17, Luiz Alberto Saba <las at intercat.com.br> wrote:

> My bad... copper is the second, losing only to silver, as a thermal
> conductor.

I think you are mistaken.  Copper is second to silver for *electrical*
conductivity, but I doubt that is so for thermal conductivity. I think
diamond, which is a form of carbon, is the best thermal conductor, and
around 5x better than copper.

Dave

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom