[time-nuts] OCXO retrace, how long is reasonable?

rfnuts rfnuts at arcor.de
Fri Sep 4 18:04:23 UTC 2020

Hi,

given it is a 10MHz OCXO, your drift is just 4E-11/hour or 9.6E-10/day,
which isn't terribly bad, is it?

A good modern OCXO is specified at +/- 0.2ppb/day (2E-10) after 30 days
of continuous operation. Some ultra high performance stuff does
<1E-10/day, and may improve down into the E-11's after years of
undisturbed operation.

Keep in mind that your GPS reference frequency may vary by up to about
+/- 5E-11 during the day.

And, your OCXO is sensitive to temperature, power supply and air
pressure changes.

Regards,
Adrian