[time-nuts] OCXO retrace, how long is reasonable?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Sep 4 21:12:22 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Sep 4, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Matthias Welwarsky <time-nuts at welwarsky.de> wrote:
>
> Dan,
>
> I've attached the last 25000 seconds of data. The drift was about 15 DAC units
> during this time. It's a 16 bit DAC, the pulling range is about 10Hz, so LSB
> is worth 1.5e-4 Hz. 15 DAC units are 2.3e-3 Hz over 25000 seconds.

…. soap box mode on ….

When looking at this sort of data, by far the best thing to do is to convert it to relative
units like PPM, PPB or PPT. That makes the data independent of frequency. It allows
you to compare it to published data. Modern papers ( like since the 1950’s or so) pretty
much always present data in “parts per XX” sort of units.

The other thing this allows you to do is to compare to measurements like ADEV
(which is also in these sort of units).

Since there are a lot of people reading these posts, their “target frequency” may be
very different than yours. A frequency change of 0.0023 Hz on a 1 Hz output is
quite a lot :)

…. soap box mode off …. :)

> Looking at your graph, it seems it took about  a week to
> express a slowdown in
> drift, and maybe a month in total to sort of settle in? That's encouraging,
> maybe I just need to give it a bit more time.
>
> My temperature graph shows that there's some correlation, but not pronounced
> enough to explain the behavior. The sensor is not thermally coupled to the
> OCXO.

The data shown does not suggest a oven controller issue.

One “gotcha” with DAC data: You have no way of knowing what’s drifting. It
could be:

1) The OCXO
2) The voltage reference to the DAC
3) The DAC it’s self

Yes, there are some other less likely things, but those are enough to muddy
the waters a bit.

Bob