[time-nuts] OCXO retrace, how long is reasonable?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 5 20:14:59 UTC 2020

Hi

The gotcha with all this is the temperature coefficient. If they all have
roughly the same +100 ppm / C tempco (which they might), then the typical
lab temperature swing of 2 to 4 C will have them out in the 200 to 400 ppm
range (and more or less tracking each other ….).

1 LSB on a 16 bit part is 15 ppm. Again relative to the reference involved. On a
typical GPSDO, this *probably* is 5V (but maybe not …. ). We are chasing something
in the 5 to 10 LSB range. Even if the two “full scales” line up, the reference in the
$5 meter is likey to get in the way.

Better to spend $100  on a HP 3456 …..

Bob