[time-nuts] Impedance question

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 8 00:40:32 UTC 2020

Hi

You actually have at least three components to your setup:

1) You have the *source* impedance of your signal

2) You have the impedance / length / loss / stability of the cable connecting the
source to the load

3) You have the load impedance.

In an ideal world, you would have cable that is truly 50 ohms at all frequencies.
With that cable a 50 ohm termination at *either* end of the cable would absorb
all reflections. Either it is eliminated on hitting the load ( = load is matched) or
it is eliminated when it returns to the source ( = source is matched). Either way,
you have no ringing reflections.

Indeed you often terminate *both* ends of the cable. That helps with cables that
may not *really* be 50 ohms. You get reflections reduced at both ends, so the
net is a bit better.

====

In the case of a pure sine wave, things can be a bit “interesting”. Whatever the
impedances involved and whatever the cable impedance, it all works to a phase
shift and a loss. Loss is never a good thing. Phase shift (as long as it is perfectly
stable) is really not much of an issue.

===

So what *is* your setup?

PPS outputs may or may not be source matched. PPS outputs that are matched
and running into a matched load result in logic levels that are 1/2 what you expected
them to be ( = you have a 2;1 attenuator). Normally PPS is matched at one end *or*
the other, but not both.

Cable length can matter. A 1 KM cable is a very different thing than a 1 M cable.
Generally if the cable is < 1/10 the wavelength of the signal ( 10 MHz has a 30 M
wavelength) the cable is better treaded as lumped elements than with transmission
line equations. The typical cables normally used tend to fall into this ( < 3 M) range.

Yes, this can go on and on …..

Lots of fun !!

Bob