[time-nuts] Impedance question

Gary Chatters gcarlistaa at garychatters.com
Tue Sep 8 01:17:47 UTC 2020

Someone else will have to give you the answers, but here are a couple of
issues to consider:

How long will your cables be?

A wavelength at 10 MHz is 30 meters.  A quarter wave (7.5m) coax line
sort of inverts the termination impedance.  So if you connect using a
high impedance, your source will be almost a short circuit (milliohms).
Nominally, I would assume that you are working on a bench with short 50
ohm cables, so not much of a problem, but assuming can have unintended
consequences.

What is the voltage level of your sources?

Your counters will have a limit as to how much power input they can
tolerate.  P=E^2/R.  The voltage that the 50 ohm input can tolerate may
be much lower that what the megohm impedance can tolerate.  My 5334A
says 5V RMS max when load set to 50 ohms.  Again, don't assume, check.

Gary