[time-nuts] Time Interval Counter(?) for high-precision watch measurement

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 8 17:06:10 UTC 2020

Hi

First off, 0.001 seconds per year is ~ 3x10^-11. If you are talking about
the 2G tip effect on a typical AT cut crystal that’s up around 2 ppb.

Next up, low frequency / small package crystals are (inevitably) relatively
low Q devices. Low Q degrades ADEV performance / increases noise. If
you *could* measure a high Q device to 3x10^-11 in one second, it’s a
good bet that a low Q device will take 10X to 100X that amount of time.

The stepper motor in a watch is a low frequency inductive device. The
waveform out of it has a (very) limited bandwidth. Again another factor that
will stretch out the time involved in the measurement. Your pickup coil likely
also has some issues. ( That assumes the watch is still closed up. I would not
recommend opening one up for testing …).

So far, none of this is looking at the frequency counter. We’re just looking
at the device you are trying to measure.

Since there does not appear to be a need to get the data really quickly,
none of this is a show stopper. It simply suggests that something out in
the hundreds of seconds is likely to be the sort of gate time involved.

If you are after 3x10^-11 on a 100 second gate, that comes out to a rather
convenient 3 ns resolution. Better than that would be fine, but that’s roughly
what you “need” to have.

There are lots of low cost counters out there that will hit that sort of number.
The HP 5334 and HP 5335 both come to mind. They should be available for
< $200 (delivered). The TAPPR TIC would easily do the job for slightly more.
The TIC probably would be easier to automate compared to running GPIB
on the 5334 or 5335.

Next step up would be something like a 53181 or 53131. They seem to start
out around $300 (delivered). You now have an RS-232 serial I/O and a device
that is about 10X better than your “need”.

These are only a very small sample of the vast number of counters out there.
The only reason for picking them is that they all are devices I have used a lot.
They all (with some effort) can be used to do what you are trying to do.

Fun !!!

Bob