[time-nuts] Time Interval Counter(?) for high-precision watch measurement

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Sep 8 17:41:14 UTC 2020

List -- There's a very nice review of modern high-precision wrist
watches here:

https://www.esquire.com/uk/watches/a33819282/high-frequency-accurate-quartz-watches/

Even though time nuts is not a "watch and clock" mailing list, I
recommend a quick read of the article. The current best result is the
Citizen 0100, which was announced last year with an accuracy of 1 second
per year. Obviously these are all quartz watches (not mechanical).
Several review sites:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen-caliber-0100-introducing-the-worlds-most-accurate-autonomous-watch/

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/citizen-caliber-0100-worlds-most-accurate-watch-review/

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citizen-eco-drive-caliber-0100-introducing

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citizen-eco-drive-caliber-0100-review

And the Citizen site itself:

https://www.citizenwatch-global.com/s/news/2019/20190320-1/index.html

Raven -- A rule of thumb is that 1 s per day is about 1e-5 and 1 s per
year is about 3e-8. To me it looks like your 1e-10 number is off by a
factor of 300.

Some comments on measurement.

1) For long-term tests, yes, using GPS is the way to go. Note that in
most cases you need only a GPS/1PPS source; a full GPSDO is not required.

2) Magnetic induction pickup is a popular choice. Note it can be highly
sensitive to pickup location, angle, distance. When you are making
millisecond or microsecond measurements you need absolute rigidity in
your test fixture. There may also be thermal effects. All of this should
be tested independently so that you don't start a long-term measurement
only to discover that you merely measuring the instability of your test
fixture instead of the wristwatch. Spend a lot of time with the 'scope.
Spend time checking external perturbations on your test fixture. See if
you need magnetic shielding.

3) It's good that you measured the rise time. 10 to 40 us is reasonable.
Also check the jitter as that will impact your ability to make watch
accuracy measurements. Some of these watches use variable pulse dropping
techniques so a stepper motor (induction) measurement is *not* the same
as a quartz oscillator measurement. You will see this in phase or
frequency plots of your data.

4) The SR620 is a laboratory counter. See also the TAPR/TICC. But both
are nearly a million times overkill for your application. For each tick
you need only microsecond level precision, not nanosecond, nor
picosecond. If you are into DIY, you can make your own timer. Other
alternatives include:

https://www.bmumford.com/mset/

https://mesterhome.com/timer/index.html

http://leapsecond.com/pic/picpet.htm
http://leapsecond.com/pic/pp06.htm

My personal preference for the class of measurements you plan to make
are USB-powered instruments. I would not measure a precision wristwatch
with a big, hot, noisy, breezy, vibrating SR620.

5) You probably don't want a frequency or period counter for this
project. Traditionally a time interval counter is used: you measure from
your watch tick to a GPS tick. All you need to know is derived from that
time series. You may find, no matter how expensive your time interval
counter, that as the watch tick collides with the GPS tick your sample
rate becomes unstable. The solution to this is to use a timestamping
counter instead of a time interval counter. Both the TAPR/TICC and the
picPET are based on this approach. I time all my mechanical and quartz
clocks & watches using picPET's.

6) Never start a long-term measurement until you have analyzed an hour
or day of your data. An ADEV plot will help verify if your measurement
system is measuring your watch or if your watch is measuring your
measurement system. Learn to use TimeLab. Live phase / frequency / ADEV
plots of your data are a life saver.

/tvb