[time-nuts] Time Interval Counter(?) for high-precision watch measurement

Raven L cuervamellori at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 20:02:49 UTC 2020

The pickup I use (a Seiko DM-1) is inductive. It picks up the magnetic
field from the motor impulse that drives the hands. It works very similarly
to electric guitar pickups. I have used a piezo microphone (using the
microphone from a commercial mechanical watch timer), but the precision is
far worse - the "tick" sound is only localized to a couple of milliseconds
at best, rather than tens of microseconds from the inductive pickup.

Thanks to everyone for all the guidance so far!  I'm learning a lot very
quickly - I have a long reading list already lined up for tonight.