[time-nuts] Spectrum Software Micro-Cap downloads

Lloyd Blythen lblythen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 05:04:29 UTC 2020

Thanks Bob.

About a month ago I looked at which free simulators were available. In case
it saves anyone doing the same ...

Micro-Cap was recommended consistently as having the best schematic-capture
and GUI. Trouble is, although it's now free, that's only the binary:
there's no ongoing development or support.

For that reason most people have gone with LT-Spice from Analog Devices
(originally Linear Technology before the acquisition). Schematic symbols
look awful unless that matters enough to make you design your own, the help
resembles something from a Windows95 archaeological dig and understandably
the most comprehensive libraries are for AD's own devices. But there's a
huge on-line community, it's under active development, AD supports it very
well, more and more devices from other sources are coming available, and
providing it at no charge and without limitations is a very generous offer
for something so useful.

HTH,

Lloyd