[time-nuts] Thunderbolt E failing

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Mon Sep 14 07:59:46 UTC 2020

On Sonntag, 13. September 2020 15:05:36 CEST Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> The point is that there is no need to compensate the part while it is
> locked.

It depends. For short time constants, yes, likely the control loop is able to
follow the temperature-induced drift of the OCXO. But you might want the TC to
be as long as possible. Naturally, the control loop becomes very slow to
react. By following the temperature, you have an additional input that allows
the controller to act more quickly to a changing environment. Effectively this
will lead to higher stability of the output.

> Indeed, trying to compensate *and* learn at the same time generates even
> more issues to deal with. The temperature effect is not a simple linear /
> first order sort of thing ….

Maybe, but a linear approximation is probably better than nothing as it still
reduces the amount of change that the control loop has to counteract.

If you look at the attached screenshot - there's roughly 5500 seconds of data
from my GPSDO. At about 2500 seconds the temperature compensation was engaged.
It's just a linear correction factor for the DAC output. The factor was
computed using a linear regression fit to find the correlation between the
temperature and the OCXO drift. In the DAC chart the blue trace is the actual,
corrected DAC output, the orange trace is the uncorrected DAC computed from
the TIC input. The green trace is the OCXO drift. Without the temperature
compensation, the TIC takes a dive down to almost -15ns. While the temperature
continues its decline at an approximately constant rate, after the
compensation was engaged the TIC excursions are smaller and therefore the
stability of the output higher.

Now, of course the picture gets somewhat muddy if you keep computing the
compensation factor while the compensation is active, but what you still get
is a _residual_ factor, which you can maybe use to refine the compensation
subsequently. The correlation factor (r_xy) will tell if there's still
something to be done.