[time-nuts] Thunderbolt E failing

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Sep 15 07:14:26 UTC 2020

--------
ew via time-nuts writes:

> In 1973 I moved for TI to Dallas and had a 20 foot hole drilled to place my
> Sulzer One alternate.. Today I monitor my lab closely to better understand
> what to do. The monitor is placed on the top of the HP5065A[...]

When we built our new house I wanted to build some kind of "clock
vault", but however I looked at it, it was either far too expensive
or impossible to get planning permission for due to the ground water
protection zoning.

I later talked to a geologist who knows the Danish underground well,
and he estimated I would have needed to drill to at least 25m depth
to escape seasonal temperature-changes and cited a research paper
from the 1950'ies where the did precisely that experiment.

He also mentioned something I had not thought about my self: The
ø=15cm end-capped dry steel-pipe I was dreaming of would have been
subject to a LOT of upward boyancy force.