[time-nuts] distribution amps for 200 MHz

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Sep 15 20:18:21 UTC 2020

I also need ~200 MHz buffers for a client.

See:

State-of-the-Art RF Signal Generation
 From Optical Frequency Division

Sept 2013 IEEE Trans UFFC, p 1796

In Table I (top of page 1798)
they list the RFMD RF2312 amplifier.
Table II top of page 1799 shows
that this is good for -150 dBc/Hz at 1 Hz
for a 5 MHz carrier. The bandwidth of this
amplifier goes way beyond 200 MHz, so
I am assuming the phase noise should be good
at 200 MHz.  Maybe not 150 dBc/Hz,
but still respectable for 200 MHz,
vs other amps.

RFMD went through a half dozen mergers and the RF2313
is now made by Qorvo and sold thru the usual
distributors.  I characterized it and it
wants to be used in a 75 ohm, not 50 ohm
system.  There are always transfomers...

My HP11848 went south so I was never able to
measure its phase noise at 200 MHz.  Anyone have have
an 11848 to sell?

If someone would like to measure it for me,
I will be happy to send an evaluation board.

Rick N6RK