[time-nuts] distribution amps for 200 MHz

ed breya eb at telight.com
Thu Sep 17 00:59:32 UTC 2020

The answer lies somewhere between lots and lots of small amplifiers and
associated parts, and one big one driving a tree of passive splitters.
Are all the widgets the same? How much isolation is needed? How "good"
does it have to be? How far away is everything? Are there ground
loop/EMC issues?

Depending on the performance level, I'd tend to go with the crowd
recommending CATV distribution type stuff. If the trip is short, then
maybe you don't have to worry about 75 vs 50 ohms too much. If the trip
is long, and 50 ohm cable is to be used, I'd recommend a 75 ohm CATV
line driver power amp, with matching transformers at the in and out,
then a tree of 50 ohm splitters.

The kind of amplifier I'm picturing would be a modern, non-obsolete
type. I don't know of any offhand, but would think the function is still
needed. I'm familiar with the big old hybrid ones that are probably all
obsolete, like the MHW5342A. If you go with one big amp. then the
matching only needs to be at one place, and the rest of the stuff can be
whatever is needed. Depending on budget, it should be possible to find a
50 ohm COTS (or even custom made) VHF power amp module, and skip the DIY
part.

If you need extremely high performance provided by using lots of special
or individual amps, then you gotta do what you gotta do - but that's a
helluva lot of parts.

If there are ground loop/EMC issues, It may be desirable to use
transformer coupled and isolated outputs if needed, even if impedance
matching is already OK. That would be a lot of parts too.

Ed