[time-nuts] Is there a good web page introducing ADEV?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Sep 24 19:35:59 UTC 2020

Hi Hal,

ADEV turns out to be pretty hard to understand. I took me years for it
to sink in. There are web pages, articles, even books. Part of the
problem is matching the explanation with the audience.

It's hard to take a clock phase / frequency / measurement example and
use it to teach people who want to use ADEV for stock market or climate
analysis. It's hard to take quartz and atomic clock examples and use it
to teach a mechanical clock & watch audience. Another example is
applying ADEV to sensor noise [1]. Even though it is technically correct
it's not likely to help explain the guts of a GPSDO or NTP.

I can point you to a list of references but in my experience they are
too shallow or way too deep. What you want is something specific to your
NTP case. How about ignoring ADEV completely. Maybe just try to explain
why there is polling, why there is a poll interval, how the poll
interval could be less or more, why that may or may not affect
performance, how it might improve performance, or why it might actually
make it worse. That gets the concept of the "cross-over point" across
without all the rest of ADEV baggage.

Another challenge is that an audience needs to unlearn what they were
taught in school. We were told: the more data the better; the more data
the more precision you get; averaging data always gives better results;
get rid of outliers; stuff like that. Those lessons are valid for
measurements of something that doesn't change. But they are not valid if
what you're measuring is changing *while* you are making all those
measurements. Hence the ADEV "V" you mentioned. So maybe try to explain
NTP using words and analogies rather than using heavy math and
statistics; try not mentioning ADEV, slopes, and power law noise at all.

/tvb

[1] https://www.phidgets.com/docs/Allan_Deviation_Primer