[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Sep 24 22:30:31 UTC 2020

Hi

Maximize life = put it on the shelf and *never* power it up. It (may) last for a century that way.
How you will *know* it’s still doing fine is very unclear.

Maximize utility = power it up and keep it on power all the time. If you can plan well, power it
up 9 months before you need to use it.

There is a lot of data suggesting that > 90 days of stabilization is a good idea on OCXO’s.
That’s based on fairly basic parts. On something fancy, it’s a good bet that even longer is better.

===

Does it need to be on power at 24V +/- 0.00000001 V for 9 months ahead of time? Is a 1 hour
power outage 3 months back a really big deal? Both are in the “that depends” category.
Good bet is “don’t worry about it.”

One practical approach is to mount a regulator external to (and thermally isolated from) the
OCXO. Then apply whatever supply you happen to have. Net result is that the device does
not see any crazy voltage spikes. A diode “voting” setup could also be integrated into the
regulator board.

Bob