[time-nuts] What do people use for measuring temperature?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Sep 26 13:27:09 UTC 2020

Hi

Going back a bit to get closer to the original request …..

Indeed a thermistor is the “high resolution” king of the hill when it comes to temperature
measurement. Resistance change of 3% (30,000 ppm) per degree is not uncommon, you can do better …
They come in all sorts of packages for not a lot of money. eBay will happily supply you with
a ton of parts. Go with high resistance parts to reduce the self heating issues mentioned below ….

Since the original request was not concerned about accuracy ( only resolution) the cheap
glass body eBay parts may do just fine. You would need to do a bit of characterization /
curve fitting to work out what’s what.

If you are after 0.001C resolution you would need to measure resistance to 30 ppm. That
can be done. Indeed a bridge setup and looking at voltage is a more normal way to do this.
For narrow ranges an op-amp on the bridge will give you lots of voltage. The main issue is
indeed living with the range limitation.

Yes this is a bit of “cobble it together” nonsense. You can indeed get a pretty good setup that
will give you mili C resolution and tens of mili C accuracy. Best guess is that a single sensor
system you can trust will be over $5K. The sensors will be giant RTD probes that are a bit
useless for looking at small devices …. sorry about that ….

======

Since this is time nuts ……

One can build an R/C oscillator with a thermistor. You can measure the period of the output
and get temperature that way. Resolution (obviously) is not going to be hard to get with a
Time Nut grade counter. Don’t bother … the jitter is going to get in the way long before you get
to 0.01, let alone 0.001C ….

Bob