[time-nuts] What do people use for measuring temperature?

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sat Sep 26 14:48:32 UTC 2020

On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 22:46:32 -0400, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com
wrote:  Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 194, Issue 40

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 04:50:35 -0700
> From: Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
> To: time-nuts at lists.febo.com
> Cc: Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net>
> Subject: [time-nuts] What do people use for measuring temperature?
>

> I've got a collection of 1-wire gizmos and USB thumb drives.  They
> are great
> for many applications but I'm looking for something better/different.
>
> I'd like something that reads to 0.01 degree or 0.001 degree.  I don't need
> accuracy.  What I want is reasonable linearity so I can make pretty graphs.
>
> I'd like the actual probe to be small enough so I can poke it
> inside gear like
> a PC and attach it to a crystal.
>
> I'm looking for a USB or serial connection so I can log the data.
>
> Is there an obvious brand/whatever I should be looking at? thermistor?
> thermocouple?  ...
>
> I don't care about a display on the device.  I don't want a logger,
> they fill
> up.  I want to grab the data on the fly and do my own logging.
> (But I'm happy
> to use a logger if it will do what I want.)

Sounds like you need a Platinum RTD (Resistance Temperature Detector)
unit of some kind.  Don't be scared by the word Platinum - these need
not be terribly expensive, and are widely used in industry.

These are industrial:

.<https://www.omega.com/en-us/resources/rtd-hub>

.<https://www.omega.com/en-us/sensors-and-sensing-equipment/temperature/sensors/rtd-sensors/p/5RTD-F3100>

Many bench DMMs have a RTD input.