[time-nuts] What do people use for measuring temperature?

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Sep 26 23:07:21 UTC 2020

The HP E1938A OCXO that I worked on had a feature where
we could set the oven temperature individually on each
oscillator to the exact turnover point of the crystal.
With all the temperature characterization we did, it
would seem like if there were a thermistor "aging"
process, we would have seen it.  However, we
didn't have the resources to proactively search for
it.  The E1938A oven is stable to a fraction of
a milliKelvin, over its rated -55 to +85 degree C spec.
We used three thermistors and averaged them.  They
were basically the same thermistors used in the 10811.
IIRC, we bought them from Yellow Springs.

Rick N6RK