[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz BVA has been sold. Thank you all who expressed an interest.

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Sat Sep 26 18:11:20 UTC 2020

You want a substantial UPS go to  Victron Energy and get a charger Inverter Multi Plus and add a battery I have done it. Bert Kehren    In a message dated 9/26/2020 12:16:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, mark at alignedsolutions.com writes:
A few decades ago I  worked with some quite large Telecom gear that ran from 208 volt AC.    The equipment had its own internal 48 volt supplies and short term battery back up system (basically so the redundant CPU units could gracefully shut down in the event of a power failure.)  The manufacturer also sold similar systems that ran from customer supplied 48 volts but many enterprise customers who already had large UPS systems and back up generators preferred the versions that ran from 208 volt AC.

Some smaller office phone systems back in the early 1990's also featured large external battery packs to get multi hour run times.  The vendors would typically send technicians out to peridoically check the battery systems.  The few that I was able to examine were typically made up from 2 volt sealed lead acid cells.  The used cells used to be some what available to hobbyists as the tended to get replaced before they failed.

Yes some large UPS systems don't work very well at supplying low levels of power for long the periods.  During a multi hour maintenance shut down at work a few decades ago we had one device that we hoped to keep running (essentially a small digital voice play back unit that played phone system messages, ie. "The number you have reached is not in service.")  It drew well under 100 watts and was the only load at the time for a large UPS system with multiple battery banks which stopped running after a few hours and I had to re record the messages.  None of us were very surprised.

Mark Spencer
mark at alignedsolutions.com
604 762 4099