[time-nuts] What do people use for measuring temperature?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Sep 27 18:35:37 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Sep 27, 2020, at 11:59 AM, Jeremy Nichols <jn6wfo at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> We used three thermistors and averaged them.
>>
>> I assume they were spread around in case one side of the package was
>> warmer than the other.
>>

>> Could one do an analog “average” by using a set of, for example, four
> ‘identical’ (there’s a risky word!)

They get closer the more you pay for them ….. :)

On an OCXO, you have a target range of temperatures. It may be as
narrow as 10C it could be 30C. “Matching” outside that range is not
going to help you any.

Indeed back in the “good old days” people sat and sorted thermostats
to get ovens to match up with crystals.

The Morion folks used to have a warehouse full of raw PTC material
ready to dice up into thermistors for their “vacuum tube” OCXO’s. They
matched it up / chopped it to size as needed …. The manufacturing process
on the stuff was not tight enough to deliver it to the accuracy they needed.

Bob