[time-nuts] What do people use for measuring temperature?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Sep 28 20:00:52 UTC 2020

Hi

Indeed the most stable (long term) standard is a very high end RTD. These devices have a lot of voodoo
in their design. Even with all that, they still arrive with a note on the box that reads “ for applications requiring
< 10 mk, re-calibrate before use”. More or less, you *also* need a triple point cell to use one. Triple point cells
do not bounce when they hit the floor …. I have empirical data on this :(

In terms of *resolution*, even the high end gear goes over to thermistors. You can get about an order of magnitude
increase in relative performance running a fancy thermistor rather than a fancy RTD. The Fluke / Hart web
site is a wonderful thing to drool at in this regard. Be sure to lock the credit card safely away before going
anywhere near it.

https://us.flukecal.com/about/fluke-calibration-brands/hart-scientific <https://us.flukecal.com/about/fluke-calibration-brands/hart-scientific>

https://us.flukecal.com/products/temperature-calibration/probes-sensors <https://us.flukecal.com/products/temperature-calibration/probes-sensors>

Keep in mind that those probes are done with a specified accuracy. The real world numbers likely are better
than spec by some factor …..

=======

Getting back to TimeNuts stuff. If you want to make a practical controller for a fixed set point, the thermistor
still wins. You get more voltage / lower noise (in miliK) with the thermistor. The fact that you can get a good one
(= very low aging) for $2 rather than $200 also helps ….. :)

Bob