[time-nuts] Re: Best frequency to start for GHz synth ?

Gerhard Hoffmann ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Thu Apr 1 23:32:37 UTC 2021

Am 01.04.21 um 18:41 schrieb Richard (Rick) Karlquist:

> It evolved from the 640 MHz SAW resonator used in early 5071's.
> Again, the fab shut down and I designed it out.

I just have some interesting SAW filters on the table, in my new 432 MHz
transverter
for a RedPitaya based SDR. The choiceof IF is free, so I used 32 MHz++.
That needs a 400 MHz LO, aka
<
https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/ecs-inc/ECOC-2522-100-000-5FC/XC2269-ND/6578496

and 2 Multipliers x 2.  The 400 MHz filter is
<
https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/qualcomm-rf360-a-qualcomm-tdk-joint-venture/B39431B3710U410/495-1870-1-ND/699775

made by Siemens/EPCOS/TDK/Qualcom/RF360/whoever. 10 square milimeters
and 2 * 47 nH 0603.

The filter has a flat top, no poles visible close to the center, so
phase stability surprises should come,
well, as a surprise. Not needed for the transverter, but I like to plan
for dual use. :-)
The 100 MHz oven can be locked to a 10 MHz ref.

The 432 MHz Filters are
<
https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/B39431B3710U410/495-1870-1-ND/699775/?itemSeq=359946818

Two of them back-to-back produce the 3rd/4th picture. They don't cover
the entire band,
but the EME/DX part. Just 2 Filters back-2-back, adjustment-free 50 Ohms
in/out. 4*10 mm.

Gerhard

That line formatting will get me a heart attack sooner or later.