[time-nuts] Re: Best frequency to start for GHz synth ?

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Apr 2 00:09:50 UTC 2021

On 4/1/21 4:49 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> At least back when I did it for a living …. the SAW you used
> for an oscillator was a bit different than the one you used for
> an oscillator. The “normal” problem was coming up with
> enough tune range cover the (massive) TC plus the aging.
>
> Bob

Yeah, for filters, SAW devices are awesome. You've got a lot of control
over the passband and stopband shape.  And they are cheap to make (at
least for ordinary aluminum transducers on the substrate, with no ion
milling).

for resonators - the big TC is an issue. And I don't know how high the Q
can be. I worked for a place that used SAW resonators (on quartz) as
sensors for all kinds of things (a multitude of SBIRs) - pressure,
chemical presence, etc.  you name it. Bend the quartz or change the mass
make a nice detector for the output of a Gas Chromatograph for instance
- they're basically sensing mass, so they don't have poisoning problems
like some others.