[time-nuts] Re: Sparkfun lists SA.35m

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Apr 3 15:07:50 UTC 2021

--------
Dana Whitlow writes:

> I knew about the use of the VCSEL, but I'd bet a good dinner that it's not a
> Rubidium laser!

I dont see anybody claiming that ?

It is a laser interrogated rubidum frequency standard.

The crucial part of the "Theory of Operation" is:

	The MAC is a passive atomic clock, incorporating the
	interrogation technique of Coher- ent Population Trapping
	(CPT) and operating upon the D1 optical resonance of atomic
	87Rb to control the frequency […] The laser is mounted on
	a Thermal-Electric Cooler (TEC) for precise temperature
	control and is modulated by the microwave synthesizer at
	half the hyperfine frequency to produce sidebands in the
	laser spectrum. […]

But more relevant:  The product is EOL with last ship date of 20210420