[time-nuts] Re: ADEV interpretation

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sun Apr 4 13:31:16 UTC 2021

Hi,

The 1/tau slope in ADEV is... a bit messy to explain. Often it ends up
being an limitation in the instrument. The simple rule is that it is
single-shot resolution limit. The fine-grained detail is that it is a
combination of resolution quantization and that of noise. I did research
on it, and it does some funky stuff. I should redo that one into a more
readable article some day, to many loose ends to clean up and explain.

Anyway, most often this instrument noisefloor is of great annoyance.
Often, as ADEV breaks away from it you start to see the ADEV of the
reference and source. The actual instrument will also have some
systematics that show up, but usually they are not too strong.

As you do MDEV and TDEV, the slope of white noise and indeed
quantization noise goes steeper, so you can get real measurement values
for lower taus that way.

Cheers,
Magnus