[time-nuts] Re: Voltage Regulator

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Apr 5 20:30:49 UTC 2021

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 08:36:28 -0700
Shawn <comsec at xmtservices.net> wrote:

> Tried putting an LM317 regulator in the line to drop the 30V supply to
> 10-12V and the power dissapation is beyond the heatsinking I have
> that'll fit, also seems wasteful.  I have a switcher thatll fit the
> bill but amd concerned about the noise inside the chassis that it might
> make.  I can bypass the input/output but concerned for radiated hash
> noise.

This depends. The MRT/FRK types are not that well shielded,
but still better than modern telecom grade types. If you
have a well designed switcher, then that should not be a
problem. If you bought one of the many switcher on ebay/aliexpress,
then I would not trust those... They are horribly designed,
violating the layout rules in the datasheet (and those are
already not up to time-nuts/noise-nuts standards). There are
some 78xx replacments from reputable manufacturers (Murata, etc).
Those should be good enough for that need. Still I would not place
them close to the MRT, if possible.

			Attila Kinali

--
The driving force behind research is the question: "Why?"
There are things we don't understand and things we always