[time-nuts] OT:USGS measuring water level

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Thu Apr 8 22:55:13 UTC 2021

We've been a bit free today so hope that you don't mind today's OT venture.

Took the dogs for a ride around the country side today in the 4 wheeler.  There on the bridge was a white truck attending a GPs unit clamped to the bridge rail.  Stopped to chat.  He services the 170 some water level sensors in Kansas and was updating the data for stations around the state.  We chatted about the uplink fixed pointing at the sky.  About the semi-hidden solar panel.  Then got to the "RADAR" sensor pointing down to the water to measure depth.  No more mechanical stuff to fiddle with.

Interesting is that all that stuff is sort of hidden.  People steal the solar panels. They steal the satellite radios and antennas.   I've noticed that the electronics is in ever stronger boxes.  In fact, he mentioned that they have 2 stations located in Gun Safes well anchored to their mounts.  They do measurements every 1 minutes.

So the lesson is I guess, there are a lot of time nuts guys out there in need of equipment.

N0UU